Monday, August 29, 2011

Fractionated Dry Fast (Part 5) 10-Day Fast

Saint Seraphim during his now-famous 1000 day prayer vigil.

Start Date & Time: Thursday, August 19 th, 9:00 pm

Day 1 -- Friday, August 20 th
Weight = 110.6 lbs.
Blood Pressure = 88/58
Pulse = 68
Sleep = 7 hours
Urinated = 8 X
30 minute walk with my dog
Orthostatic Hypotension was not present
I had a headache all day and felt generally crummy. I was neither hungry nor thirsty today.
Day 2 -- Saturday, August 21 st
Weight = 105.4 lbs.
Blood Pressure = 90/60
Pulse = 58
Sleep = 9 hours
Urinated = 7 X
30 minute walk with my dog
60 minute sunbath in late afternoon
Orthostatic Hypotension was mild
The headache continued all day and I felt generally crummy. I was neither hungry nor thirsty today.
Day 3 -- Sunday, August 22 nd
Weight = 103.2 lbs
Blood Pressure = 90/60
Pulse = 55
Sleep = 9 hours
Urination = 7 X
30 minute walk with my dog
Orthostatic Hypotension was mild
The headache continued through the fist half of the day, but was pretty much gone by late afternoon. I felt much, much better in general today. I was neither hungry nor thirsty today.
Overall, I have been stronger on this dry fast during the first three days, than I was during the first three days of my last 8 day dry fast. I had extreme orthostatic hypotension by the second day of the last dry fast which made it impossible for me to do much of anything except lay in bed. This time I have been able to sit up and read more and even take my dog for a walk. I think this is a positive sign. Dr. Filonov says that each dry fast becomes successively easier, and I am beginning to think he is right about this (after 20 years of experience, I guess he should know what he is talking about, lol!).
Well, I was not planning to do a third dry fast as part of my fractionated dry fast protocol, though I know Dr. Filonov does this with some of his patients. I woke up with headache on Friday morning and was not the least bit hungry, so I decided to do a 36-hour dry fast. But my headache did not go away by the next morning, and I just decided to stay on the fast until it went away. It did not go away for three days! I think the headache was from toxins that are still coming out from my last dry fast. Then I found out that I have no major responsibilities either this week or the next (sometimes I have to help my boyfriend with his dog kennel business) and, therefore, I have decided to go for it and try to fast long enough to get through the second acidotic crisis which occurs between days 9-11. So, I am targeting for 11 days. I really want to see what this will do for my long-standing severe digestive problems. I have had 10 days of re-feeding and re-hydration since the 8 day dry fast I just completed and, surprisingly enough, I feel plenty capable of doing another long dry fast.  
Day 4 -- Monday, August 22nd
Weight = 101.6 lbs.
Blood Pressure = 87/52
Pulse = 56
Sleep = 7 Hours
Orthostatic hypotension = mild
Urination = 6X
Urine hot & strong smelling 
Ketosis was large (180) at 84 hours, so it took 3.5 days to get into full ketosis.
I had mild spasming in my liver/gall bladder area for about two hours in the evening.
I was able to sit up and read or work on the computer for much of the day.
I had some mid-cycle spotting (my last period was August 3rd)
30 minute walk with my dog.
I experienced neither hunger nor thirst.

Day 5 -- Tuesday, August 23rd
Weight = 100.4 lbs.
Blood Pressure = 77/47
Pulse = 56
Sleep = 6.5 hours
Orthostatic hypotension = moderate
Urination = 6X
Urine hot & strong smelling
The mid-cycle spotting continued.
I was mildly nauseated for about two hours after waking up.
I was able to sit up and read or work on the computer for most of the day.
I experienced neither hunger nor thirst.

Day 6 -- Wednesday, August 24th
Weight = 97 lbs (loss of 3.4 lbs. !)
Blood Pressure = 87/55
Pulse = 54
Sleep = 6 hours
Orthostatic hypotension = moderate
Urination = 6 X
Urine hot & strong smelling
The mid-cycle spotting continued.
60 minute sunbath in cool early morning hours.
I was able to sit up and and read or work on computer for about half the day.
I experienced neither hunger nor thirst, but began to feel a little drier and a little weaker for the first time.
I ordered more coconut water from Exotic Superfoods. I have been making coconut water kefir with the tibicos water kefir grains, and my body seems to really like it. It is supposed to be good for re-establishing good bacteria in the intestines. I have also started to make my first batch of kombucha, as well as raw fermented sauerkraut. I am really looking forward to trying all of these when I come off this fast. I got this idea from the book The Body Ecology Diet by Donna Gates. She has help many people overcome severe gastrointestinal dysbiosis with the use of fermented foods.
All in all, I am much stronger now than I was during my previous 8 day dry fast at this point in the game. During that fast, I was complete unable to do anything after day one, due to severe orthostatic hypotension. It is present this time, but not yet as severe. I think Dr. Filonov is correct when he says that each successive dry fast gets easier. When I did my first 3.5 day dry fast, I felt extremely dry and thirsty by the end of day 3 and was literally counting the minutes until bringing it to a conclusion. I think Dr. Filonov was brilliant in the development of his "fractionated" dry fast protocol because it allows the person to traverse the first acidotic crisis during the first 5-7 day dry fast and the second acidotic crisis during the second 9-11 day dry fast which is much safer and far less stressful on the body.

Day 7 -- Thursday, August 25th
Weight = 94.8 lbs
Blood Pressure = 87/52
Pulse = 56
Sleep = 5 hours
Urination = 5 X
Urine hot & strong smelling
Orthostatic hypotension = severe
Able to sit up and read or work on computer for 1/3 of the day, but get nauseated if I remain standing for too long
60 minute sunbath in the cool early morning hours
Saliva much less, but mouth still moist, but not pasty, swallowing difficult, still able to talk
Mid-cycle spotting continues
I experienced neither hunger nor thirst

Day 8 -- Friday, August 26th
Weight = 92.6 lbs
Blood Pressure = 89/55
Pulse = 45
Sleep = 3 hours
Urination = 4 X
Urine hot & strong smelling
Orthostatic hypotension = severe
Able to sit up and read or work on the computer for 1/3 of the day, but get nauseated if I remain standing for too long
No saliva, mouth & throat dry, but not pasty, swallowing difficult, still able to talk
 Mid-cycle spotting continues
I experienced neither hunger nor thirst
I feel better that I did at this point in my last fast.
My new batch of coconut water arrived today...yippy!!!

Day 9 -- Saturday, August 27th
Weight = 91.0 lbs
Blood Pressure - 90/56
Pulse = 48
Sleep = 4 hours
Urination = 4 X
Urine hot & strong smelling, but also scanty and burning for the first time
Orthostatic hypotension = severe
Able to sit up and read or work on the computer for 1/3 of the day, but become nauseated if I remain standing for too long. eyes began to hurt from reading today
Tongue became extremely whit & coated today for the first time
No saliva, mouth and throat dry, but not pasty, swallowing difficult, but still able to talk
Mid-cycle spotting continues
Began to feel mild hunger and thirst for the first time tonight
Overall, I feel much better now than I did during the final days of my last fast
During the time that I spend resting in bed, I just repeat my prayer/mantra and this brings me a great deal of peace. For the past few nights, I have been sleeping with my sliding glass door wide open with a fan blowing the cool, moist, night air into my bedroom. I am blessed with clean air where I live , and the weather has been nearly perfect for my endeavor: neither too hot nor too cold. The air feels so good when I breath it in. My lungs have never felt so clear. Sometimes my lungs will suddenly just "breathe" themselves; it is involuntary and deep. If I had a down sleeping bag, I would definitely be sleeping outside. I can see why Dr. Filonov recommends doing a long dry fast up in the mountains. It must be an incredible experience.



Day 10 -- Sunday, August 28th
When I woke up this morning, I felt about 5 times drier than I did yesterday. For the first 9 days of my fast, I never once looked at the clock to see how much longer I had to go. I was only counting 1/2 days, 12 hours at a time. That all changed today. Almost from the time I woke up, I was looking at the clock about every 15 minutes, wondering if I was going to make it to the end of day 10. Interestingly, this is exactly how I felt during the last 12 hours of the 3.5 day fast I did in June. The intensity was identical, yet the number of days it took to reach that level of intensity was significantly longer. Dr. Filonov says that each successive dry fast gets easier, and my own experience confirms this.
Weight = 90.2 lbs (at 8:00 am) and 88.8 lbs (at 8:00 pm)
Blood Pressure = 93/58 (at 8 am) and 98/63 (at 8:00 pm)
Pulse = 54 (at 8:00 am) and 47 (at 8:00 pm)
Sleep = 4 hours
Urination = 2 x (once at 7:30 am and again at 4:30 pm)
Urine is hot, strong smelling, burning. With the urination at 7:30 am, my urine was reddish in color for the first time, but this was not the case with the second urination at 4:30 pm.
Orthostatic hypotension = severe
Mid-cycle spotting continues
No saliva, mouth and throat extremely dry and pasty, swallowing is difficult. 
Tongue is white and thickly coated
60 minute sunbath in cool, early morning hours
I was mildly nauseated all day from the time I woke up. I had a transient headache and some gas pains in my intestines. I also had mild underarm odor for the first time, as well as low back pain. My eyes feel like they have sand in them. Several of my muscles are starting to freeze up.
I did not record my temperature all the way through this fast , but the last 5 days are:
8/24 = 98.3
8/25 = 97.8
8/26 = 97.4 
8/27 = 97.2
8/28 = 96.8

Re-Hydration Begins
This re-hydration has gone so much better than after my previous 8 day dry fast. Dr. Filonov recommends breaking a dry fast with 2 liters of plain water before consuming anything else. Last time, as you may recall, I broke my fast with coconut water. I thought this would be superior to water since it is used to help people suffering from severe dehydration in non-industrialized, tropical countries throughout the world. However, I began to wonder if it might, perhaps, be too concentrated for breaking a dry fast. Therefore, I decided to modify my re-hydration protocol. I was going to drink just plain water, as recommended, to start with. But plain water tasted disgusting and made me feel even more nauseated. So, I instead decided to dilute the coconut water with plain Fiji water in a 1:3 ratio: 1 part coconut water to 3 parts plain water = 1 liter of re-hydration fluid. This actually tasted quite good and did not make me nauseated. Here is how the first 24 hours looked like after breaking my fast:
9:00 pm - 1 liter of diluted coconut water

9:30 pm - I brushed my teeth for the first time in 10 days!!!! Oh my gosh, my gums looks so pink and healthy, and my teeth are pearly white and c-l-e-a-n.
10:00 pm - 16 oz. low-sugar vegetable juice (celery, zucchini, cauliflower, lemon)
10:45 pm - 1 liter of diluted coconut water
11:30 pm - 16 oz. low-sugar vegetable juice (celery, zucchini, broccoli, lemon)
12:00 am - sleep
8:00 am - 1 liter of diluted coconut water

9:00 am - I took a shower for the first time in 10 days!!!
9:30 - 24 oz. low-sugar vegetable juice (celery, zucchini, broccoli, lemon)
11:00 am - bowl of fruit compote (dried figs, dried prunes, lemon, simmered for 30 minutes)
1:30 pm - 1 liter of diluted coconut water
3:30 pm - 20 oz. low-sugar vegetable juice (celery, zucchini, broccoli, lemon)
4:30 pm - 1 lb. of steamed zucchini
6:30 pm - 1 liter of diluted coconut water
7:30 pm - bowl of fruit compote (dried figs, dried prunes, lemon, simmered for 30 minutes)
9:00 pm - vegetable soup (beets, eggplant, kale) with some raw homemade sauerkraut
11:00 pm - vegetable soup (beets, eggplant, kale) with some raw homemade sauerkraut
11:30 pm - sleep
**I also sipped on coconut water kefir, a few ounces at a time, throughout the day**
I forgot to take all of my vitals when I woke up, but this is what they were at 10 am:
Weight = 94.6 lbs
Blood Pressure = 90/55
Pulse = 60
Temp = 98.3
Urination = 10 X  (peein' like a horse again!)

30 minute walk with my dog
Breaking my fast this way worked brilliantly well. I did not suffer any negative effects or unpleasantness. I did not develop a migraine headache or remain severely nauseated like I did after my previous 8 day dry fast. I still do not know for certain if my previous experience was due to drinking the coconut water undiluted, but I am also not interested in repeating the experiment to find out, ha! ha! I did not need to do any enemas to relieve the headache and nausea, and my elimination system began to function normally within 24 hours. I had one slightly difficult bowel movement last night and another very soft and easy one this morning. All in all, I am very pleased with the way this entire process has unfolded. I will continue to blog about my re-hydration process over the next few weeks. Once I have fully recovered from this current fast, I will look at instituting a maintenance program of short intermittent dry fasts. Dr. Filonov recommends his patients fast 1 day per week, 3 days per month (consecutive), and 7 days per year (consecutive). I am not yet sure what my program will be, and I may have to experiment to see what works best for me, but I definitely was to incorporate dry fasting into my total health and longevity program.
God Bless.

17 comments:

  1. Wow, Esmee, you are one brave soul!!! Your journey is absolutely incredible. Thank you for sharing.

    It's amazing what the body is capable of and obviously you knew this is something your body really needed in order to heal.

    Every once in a while I get those same experiences of tasting and smelling a food from my childhood. It only lasts for a couple seconds and it's gone but it's crazy how it comes out of nowhere!

    I really hope your body improves leaps and bounds after this process. You SO deserve to have vibrant health and feel great.

    Looking forward to hearing about your continued progress!

    Much love,

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Esmee! I've just finished reading your whole series of posts about your dry fasting experience. I'm so inspired, both physically and spiritually.

    It really makes sense that the coconut water was too concentrated when you drank it to rehydrate after your second fast. Diluted seemed to be perfect for rehydrating after this third one. Sorry that you had to learn the hard way!

    I am sending love and prayers your way for a continued recovery of your health. You are so brave and I'm so grateful to you for sharing the details of your journey with us. Perhaps I might find a little of your courage and try my hand at fasting.

    Hugs, Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    Would you mind telling me what fruits and vegetables (both raw and cooked) you have found are best for you for your condition that Dr. Vasey speaks of in his book. I believe my blood is to acid right now. Thank you so much for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anonymous,

    After much experimentation, I have recently discovered that I do best on a diet which is very low in fructose. Most all fruits and vegetables have high amounts of fructose. So, for the past 2 months I have been eating mostly rice and cooked leafy greens, which are both very low in fructose, and I have been feeling much better. Diet is a very individual thing and you must experiment to discover what works best for you. I hope this helps.

    Esmée ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. 10 days ? who else tried 10 days dry fasting? its very hard thing to do, its harder psychologically and mentally rather than physiologically, so through dry fasting power of your will is being exercised.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Esme La Fleur

    Hello, Question to the person who dry fasted and published this article, how are you feeling now? any of the benefits of your dry fast lasted ? or is it all the same now? I wonder if effect of dry fasting is temporal? or is it permanent? please let us all know, what positive effects you saw after completing this dry fast? I understand you done 10 days which is super hard and we are all thankful for posting your testimony but can you pleases let us know what BENEFITS or POSITIVE RESULTS you gained through your fast and if any of it have lasted or not ? Thank you.! Appreciate your response! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just seeing this now and I'll mention my experience. After juice fasting, water fasting, and then dry fasting after 5 or 6 years of trying it, I finally decided to do a long dry fast. After very little research, I read about dry fasting for 21 days... I did it for 15 with no water or shower.

    Lost 24 lbs, gained 4 back
    Eyes were glowing, face was shining, and I had a very positive attitude after.
    And yes, I did shrink

    My reasons for fasting are because it helped me continue to get rid of my obesity after dropping 36 lbs from 200lbs (16.3 kg, plus diabetes runs in my family), I no longer have high blood pressure, the redness on my face is gone- I think it's called Rosacea, abnormal cells which could lead to cancer have gone (dealt with that for 4 years), asthma's gone, and I was just so happy after that and it still feels great!

    I'm starting again tomorrow because I've been getting severe headaches that last all day long and I've been sneezing a lot lately, maybe a new allergy or just dust???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I just wanted some clarification regarding the time when the acidosis crisis's may occur. In one part you wrote: "In order to achieve permanent healing results, a person must traverse two separate "acidotic" crises, the first between 3-5 days and the second between 9-11 days"
    But then in another part you wrote, " the development of his "fractionated" dry fast protocol because it allows the person to traverse the first acidotic crisis during the first 5-7 day dry fast and the second acidotic crisis during the second 9-11 day dry fast"
    So did Dr. Filonov say that the first acidosis crisis occurs during 3-5 days or 5-7 days.
    Thanks. I'm currently on day 3 myself.
    Yash

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Anonymous,

    I appologise for not responding sooner, but I have been off-line for almost a year.

    I feel that the dry fast have been very beneficial for my health overall.

    Unfortunately, it has not made any difference in the way my body handles food. as most foods still make me feel terrible.I believe that one of the main reasons for this is that I do not process fructose normally and fructose is in all fruit and vegetable foods to one degree or another. I returned to eating a diet based almost entirely on goat milk yogurt (which contains no fructose)and I feel so much better.

    However, I did have some issues with my body that have improved since I completed the series of dry fasts. Most significantly, I had chronic sinus-like issues on the right side of my head since I contracted a terrible flu in February 2000, and this has completely disappeared since my fasts. I also simply feel stronger physically over all.

    I am pleased enough with the experience and results that I definitely plan to do more dry fasting in the future.

    Blessings, Esmée

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Crysy,

    Thank you for sharing your personal experiences here with me and the readers of my blog. It is so exciting to hear from others who are adventuring onto this path. I am intrigued that you were able to complete 15 days. I do not think I could go quite that long, but it is interesting to know that it is possible for some. Perhaps one's sarting weight has something to do with how long one can safely dry fast. I am a very thin person and do not have much in the way of fatty tissue reserved to draw on. Again, I appreciate your comments, and I would love to hear about any other dry fasting experiences you may have.

    Blessings, Esmee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why did you not reply to my question about the acidosis crisis stages? Do you not know the answer? It's ok if you don't...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear yash,

    I have seen it written both ways, so it may be that most people experience it between 3-5 while others take a little longer. I personally found the first shorter fasts I did to be far more difficult than the longer ones, so I probably experienced some kind of "crisis" breakthrough on the shorter ones that did not have to be repeated during the longer ones.

    Hope this helps.

    Esmée

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks. I too found my initial shorter dry fasts to be more difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That amazing.i am on day 3 and i am not hungry and not thirsty at all.i am afraid of kidney failure.how do you you have to stop dry fasting ?does your body give an alarm or what?i realy need togo up 10 days but i am afraid to wake up being a corp lol.can you explain how your body tells you to stop oryou just said 15 day is enoughfor you?please reply tommorow will be day 4 for me

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Esmée, is it your real name? By the way, Cute French name.
    I have been fasting for 1 day a week and last week reading your blog I decided to do a dry fasting. As I work, I cannot do a long fasting. Are you still doing the "maintenance fasting"? Do you work at home? Do you have someone to help you while you did the long fastings? How old are you?
    Thanks for your answer!
    Marli

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Bloggers,
    I am on day 3 of my dry fast and feeling pretty good have lost 8lbs and feel a sense of peace. I have been stuck around 140lbs at 5'3" and finally decided it was time to break some habits. I eat all organic and healthy, Whole Foods is .5 miles away. I think alcohol could be one of my issues during my non-fasting time. It is amazing how much social life revolves around food! I feel okay but I am bored.

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks for your courage im starting my own on Monday I hope I go through but it is the best

    ReplyDelete